This salad is loaded because it’s more than just a salad — that’s right. There’s rice and beans and a hearty dressing that accompany it as well. If you’ve ever had one of those salads at Chipotle, the chain burrito restaurant, this dish is pretty reminiscent of that.
Aight, let’s get to it.
I’d recommend making the dressing first (which is creamy and awesome):
- 3/4 c vegan mayo
- 4 oz. firm silken tofu
- 1/4 c minced onion
- 1/4 soy milk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp hot sauce (chipotle flavored preferable)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth, then cover and refrigerate while you prepare the salad.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, trimmed into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups brown rice, cooled (I used far less and it was fine)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c corn kernels (I skipped this, but it would’ve been good)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
I also added a little bit of shredded vegan cheddar cheese, but I think you could skip it. The salad is pretty complete as is.
All you have to do for the salad is toss all of the ingredients in a large bowl! But, of course, there’s lots of chopping that has to be done before you can toss everything in there. Once you have, though, then you can pour a generous amount of the dressing atop of your salad and enjoy!
Salad without dressing:
Salad WITH dressing:
Having leftovers for lunch tomorrow! So excited!